Wednesday, July 4, 2018

RANDOM THOUGHTS ON INDEPENDENCE DAY


A lot of thoughts go thru my mind when patriotic holidays roll around. I’d like to share a few of them with you.

A few years ago we had a fellow missionary from the UK who had a humorous perspective on Independence Day. When asked if they have July 4th in the UK, he would respond in the way that only people from his country can, “Yes, in fact it generally follows July 3rd.” When pressed about whether they observe it, he would say, “Well, yes, we do actually. That's when we finally got rid of those pesky Colonials.”

I’ve also decided to refer to it as Independence Day, not just July 4th our The Fourth. Celebrating our national independence & sovereignty means a lot more than just remembering a calendar date.

Another thing such holidays bring to my mind is when Deborah & I came home to the US for itineration in 2011. A few days after arriving, we attended a semi-professional sporting event where the National Anthem was played. I can’t describe the feeling of pride, thankfulness, & joy at hearing it – it had been several years since we had heard out nation’s beloved National Anthem played in public. I try to never take such symbols as that & the flag for granted.

One last thought. I know that to be cynical about our great nation is considered by some to be cool & hip. Having lived abroad for 15 years, I have a suggestion. If you really feel that some other country is better or superior, would you please take the time & trouble to move there?  (I would also strongly suggest that you follow their prescribed process & do it legally; not all countries treat illegals the same as we do.) Then let me know if you still feel that way after a few years.

In the meantime, I pray you have a very blessed & wonderful Independence Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERILOUS TIMES

It’s easy to get caught up in a couple of ideas that are not true. The first is that our situation of lawlessness & turmoil hasn't h...