Sunday, July 8, 2018

MY FRIEND JOHN


I have a confession to make – I love to hear Tennessee Ernie Ford sing Gospel songs & hymns. One of my favorites is Just a Closer Walk with Thee.

It’s a favorite because it reminds me of a friend we pastored years ago. His name was John. In our little church we would occasionally spend a whole service singing hymns, & inevitably John ask, “Can we sing Just a Closer Walk?”

John was a man’s man. At 17 years of age, he became an Army paratrooper & eventually parachuted into France on D-Day. After the war he became a successful race car driver. John always worked 2 jobs & could fix or build just about anything.

When we met him, he was in his early 60s & was beginning to slow down a little bit. But he enjoyed teaching Sunday school (although he probably didn’t see himself as much of a teacher). After a long day’s work, it wouldn’t take long for him to be ready to hit the sack.

John was the kind of man who was much more about doing things with his hands than sitting & listening to a sermon. It was hard for him to stay awake. One Sunday as he & his wife were leaving church he said, “Pastor, I’m sorry that I have trouble staying awake while you’re preaching.” I replied to him, “I’m just thankful you’re here & that you love the Lord. You can fall asleep any time I’m preaching, & it’s OK with me.”

John was a very special man, & I’ll never forget him. God bless you, my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERILOUS TIMES

It’s easy to get caught up in a couple of ideas that are not true. The first is that our situation of lawlessness & turmoil hasn't h...