Monday, August 22, 2016

THE SINGING THEOLOGIANS

It's almost an axiom. Christians build their spiritual & theological foundation more on what they sing in church & the Christian music they listen to, than on their reading of the Bible or listening their pastor’s preaching.
They are learning & forming theology as they sing, hence the title of this blog.

I have written in the past about the issue of the volume of music in church. Maybe that was more about my age than anything else. But a greater concern is the content. (I would rather go deaf singing theologically sound worship choruses than empty ones. But I hope that there would be other options.)

The bottom line is that lyrics are important.

A couple nights ago my wife & I were singing together an old hymn called “I’ll Go Where You Want me to Go” by Mary Brown & Charles Prior. I was struck by the rich variety of themes the hymn contains in just 3 verses & a repeated chorus.

It’s a little lengthy, but take a minute to skim the lyrics:

It may not be on the mountain’s height, or over the stormy sea;
It may not be at the battle’s front my Lord will have need of me;
But if by a still, small voice He calls to paths I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Yours,
I’ll go where You want me to go.
Refrain
I’ll go where You want me to go, dear Lord,
O’er mountain, or plain, or sea;
I’ll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
I’ll be what You want me to be.
Perhaps today there are loving words which Jesus would have me speak;
There may be now, in the paths of sin, some wand’rer whom I should seek.
O Savior, if You will be my Guide, though dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo the message sweet,
I’ll say what You want me to say.
Refrain
There’s surely somewhere a lowly place in earth’s harvest fields so wide,
Where I may labor through life’s short day for Jesus, the Crucified.
So, trusting my all unto Your care, I know You always love me!
I’ll do Your will with a heart sincere,
I’ll be what You want me to be.
Refrain

Can you see some important theological themes here?

Of course, there’s the Great Commission. But there is also the need for a personal commitment, no matter what the cost, to do one’s part in its fulfillment. And that commitment is not based on one’s plans or desires or even best intentions, but on God’s sovereign plan for them.

You might also notice both verbal & lifestyle witness. This relates to the 2 primary works of the Spirit in the disciple’s life – a Christ-like life & anointed testimony.

Another theme here is a personal experience of God’s love for us as an individual. It’s not just theoretical or for others. This depth of relationship motivates us to persevere in serving Him no matter what the personal cost.


The bottom line for me is: people in our churches are learning something when they sing & worship the Lord. What are they learning? What kind of foundation are they building?

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERILOUS TIMES

It’s easy to get caught up in a couple of ideas that are not true. The first is that our situation of lawlessness & turmoil hasn't h...