Saturday, July 9, 2016

HAVE MERCY ON MY EARS, LORD!

One of the issues related to music in church that I haven’t heard a lot about is whether or not it is conducive to our sensitivity to what the Holy Spirit is trying to say to us at any given instant as individuals or as a congregation. Maybe it’s my age, or maybe I’m just getting more prone to sensory overload. But it seems to me that in general terms, the less sensory stimulation I’m experiencing, the easier it is to be sensitive to the Lord’s voice.

There is sometimes a line drawn between “good” & “not so good” worship music. Sometimes the measure of its quality is how much it stirs the emotions & overpowers the senses. When I refer to senses & emotions, I’m not talking about the deep parts of our lives that only the Spirit can discern – I mean the emotional response to various outer stimuli, the kind of emotional response that can change in an instant.


I haven’t followed what’s happening in Larry Norman’s life for a long time, but I’ll never forget this song. But at the same time, I wonder if we should be more discerning about what we call “good” music. After all, worship is for the Lord, & not so much about our definition of good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERILOUS TIMES

It’s easy to get caught up in a couple of ideas that are not true. The first is that our situation of lawlessness & turmoil hasn't h...